Hysteroscopy Procedure for Infertility Diagnosis
Our doctors at The New Hope Center in Virginia Beach, VA offer hysteroscopy procedures to diagnose and treat infertility issues. For more information, call us today and schedule a consultation.
Hysteroscopy Procedure for Diagnosis or Treatment
Hysteroscopy is a procedure that allows your fertility specialist to see the inside of the uterus (womb). Hysteroscopy procedure may be used for either diagnosis or treatment. A diagnostic Hysteroscopy takes only a few minutes and can sometimes be performed in the practice’s procedure room.
A Hysteroscopy for the treatment of a certain medical condition is usually performed under a general anesthetic in the practice.
The hysteroscope, which is similar to a narrow telescope, is inserted through the opening (cervix) into the uterine cavity. Sometimes the cervix may need to be grasped to steady the uterus and a local anesthetic may be used. Carbon dioxide gas or liquid is introduced to separate the walls of the uterus to make space so that the inside of the uterus to be seen. At the end of the procedure, a sample of the lining of the uterus (endometrium) may be taken and sent for pathology examination.
Some reasons for a hysteroscopy
- To investigate infertility
- To investigate heavy or irregular periods
- To investigate bleeding after menopause
- To investigate recurrent miscarriage
- To find Intrauterine devices
- To remove or cauterize the lining of the womb in a procedure called an endometrial ablation
- To remove fibroids or polyps
- To remove difficult intrauterine devices
- To cut intrauterine adhesions